Mandatory program for individuals convicted of impaired driving
What is the Ignition Interlock Program?
The Ignition Interlock Program (IIP) is required for all drivers convicted of an impaired driving offence in Alberta. Drivers must attach alcohol sensors to their vehicle ignitions and demonstrate a consistent ability to not drink and drive in order to complete the program.
How does it work?
Drivers can apply for the IIP after completing a road test and paying the reinstatement fees. The driver will also receive a Restricted Driver's License from an Alberta Registry Agent. If the device detects alcohol impairment, the driver can't start or operate their vehicle. All IIP activity is recording and, based on the results, the driver may need to extend the program or meet with a review committee. Cheating or bypassing the system results in being immediately removed from the program and losing your restricted license.
How to apply:
- If the driver is a first time offender, he/she must take the Planning Ahead Driver Program before applying
- If the driver is a repeat offender, he/she must take the IMPACT Driver Program before applying
- Serve the minimum court-ordered "Order of Driving Prohibition Against an Offender" period
- Buy an Ignition Interlock application from an Alberta Registry Agent
- Attach a copy of the Order of Driving Prohibition to the application
- Send the completed application to Driver and Fitness Monitoring within 30 days of completing the "Order of Driving Prohibition Against an Offender" term:
Driver Fitness and Monitoring
Safety, Policy and Engineering Division
Room 109, Main Floor, Twin Atria Building
Edmonton AB T6B 2X3
We also accept applications via fax (780-422-6612) or email (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Once approved, an appointment will be made to have the device installed (Instructions)
- Obtain a restricted license from an Alberta Registry Agent
How much does it cost?
|Smart Start Canada Program component Cost* (not including GST)|
|Installation of the ignition interlock device||$145.00|
|Rental fee for the device per month||$95.00|
|Removal of the ignition interlock device||$50.00|
|Application fee (does not include Registry Agent Fee)||$63.00|
|"Planning Ahead" driver program||$250.00|
|"IMPACT" driver program||$800.00|