Drivers play a key role in back-to-school safety. Be alert and extra cautious in and around school zones and playgrounds as well as near school buses.
Young students should remember these safety tips:
- If you can't see the driver, the driver can't see you either.
- Be alert at intersections and always look for danger when crossing the street.
- Arrive early at your bus stop and stand back on the sidewalk until the bus stops.
Back to school facts
- Over 40 per cent of the drivers involved in collisions with school buses committed an error. The most common error was following too closely.
- School buses in Alberta travel an estimated 450,000 kilometres a day – that’s more than 10 times around the earth!
- The penalty for failing to stop for a school bus with its flashing red lights activated is $543 and six demerit points.
- During the 2014-2015 school year, 83 per cent of casualty collisions and about 95 per cent of property damage collisions involving a school bus occurred in urban areas.
Learn more about school bus regulations.
Read more information about school bus safety.